Urgent Help Needed for Boot Problems After Data Restoration

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 19:09:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

> After restoring data from a backup image set for a 500GB harddisk to a
> 1000 GB harddisk, I am unable to boot up my F11 OS. I have already
> restored *both* the MBR backup and the dump output from sfdisk.

It isn't that simple. The MBR tells the OS where to find the next boot
information on the disk and that will most likely have moved so it won't
find it.

> What else is missing? I am stuck at a blinking cursor at the top left
> corner of the screen. GRUB is not loading and I am unable to select
> any kernel to boot.
>
> Using System Rescue CD, I am able to activate all the logical volumes
> and all the volume groups that were restored. I am also able to mount
> all the logical volumes and access the restored filesystems.

You need to boot off the rescue disk and reactivate grub from there -
something like chroot into the disk image and then run grub-install,
though I forget the exat details.

 	Michael Young