UEFI-bootable CD/DVD Questions

J. Bates jbizzler at imsa.edu
Wed Nov 18 22:31:32 UTC 2009

The Wiki pages on UEFI features in Fedora leave me wondering a couple
things:

-They say "We can't create dual-boot CD/DVD install media for Fedora 11
or Fedora 12 without breaking many supported systems." And so it
suggests you use boot.iso (which appears to be the same as netinst.iso,
correct me if I'm wrong). Does that mean boot.iso can dual-boot but also
breaks compatibility, or is there a special way to burn it?

-It also says "Both the BIOS and UEFI boot images are included on the
installation media, however, so that you can create your own
UEFI-bootable CD/DVD if desired." Are these the files under the "images"
directory or some sort of separate file system invisible to the user,
and how to I create my own disc this way?

-Why isn't efi/boot/bootx64.efi (or whatever it's called on 32-bit
platforms) available on most of the installation media? I've seen UEFI
implementations that don't rely on El-Torito and can just browse a CD
for EFI executables. And then why are BOOTX64.conf and splash.xpm.gz
there if bootx64.efi isn't?