can anyone build guile-1.8.7 on f12?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 19 13:31:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   in fact, downloading the source rpm for guile-1.8.7 and using
> > "rpmbuild" to try to build the binary also fails with the same
> > error. i think it's BZ time.
>
> Without seeing the error you're getting, it's rather difficult to help
> much.

  i wasn't (yet) asking for debugging help, i first just wanted to
verify a proper build under f12.  rather than try to debug this any
further, i think i'll just back everything up and go with a fresh f12.

> The package build logs¹ show it builds successfully on the Fedora
> build system.  Knowing what differs in your attempt might help
> pinpoint the problem.

  ok, i've posted the full "make" output here:

http://pastebin.com/m49255dd

the tail end of which is:

cat alist.doc arbiters.doc async.doc backtrace.doc boolean.doc
chars.doc continuations.doc debug.doc deprecation.doc deprecated.doc
discouraged.doc dynl.doc dynwind.doc environments.doc eq.doc error.doc
eval.doc evalext.doc extensions.doc feature.doc fluids.doc fports.doc
futures.doc gc.doc goops.doc gsubr.doc gc-mark.doc gc-segment.doc
gc-malloc.doc gc-card.doc guardians.doc hash.doc hashtab.doc hooks.doc
i18n.doc init.doc ioext.doc keywords.doc lang.doc list.doc load.doc
macros.doc mallocs.doc modules.doc numbers.doc objects.doc objprop.doc
options.doc pairs.doc ports.doc print.doc procprop.doc procs.doc
properties.doc random.doc rdelim.doc read.doc root.doc rw.doc
scmsigs.doc script.doc simpos.doc smob.doc sort.doc srcprop.doc
stackchk.doc stacks.doc stime.doc strings.doc srfi-4.doc srfi-13.doc
srfi-14.doc strorder.doc strports.doc struct.doc symbols.doc
threads.doc throw.doc values.doc variable.doc vectors.doc version.doc
vports.doc weaks.doc ramap.doc unif.doc dynl.doc filesys.doc posix.doc
net_db.doc socket.doc regex-posix.doc |
GUILE="/home/rpjday/guile-1.8.7/pre-inst-guile"
../scripts/snarf-check-and-output-texi          >
guile-procedures.texi || { rm guile-procedures.texi; false; }
ERROR: unknown doc attribute: (location (string . alist.c) (int . 40)
(hash . hash))
make[3]: *** [guile-procedures.texi] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/guile-1.8.7/libguile'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/guile-1.8.7/libguile'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/guile-1.8.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

  that error is entirely reproducible.  what someone else claims is
that, where you see the use of the created pre-inst version of guile:

GUILE="/home/rpjday/guile-1.8.7/pre-inst-guile"

if you replace that with an invocation of the fedora pre-installed
guile, it will apparently work.  so (at least on this system), that
first pass at building guile is not working for me.

  i get precisely the same error trying to build from the src rpm.
but, as i said, maybe i shouldn't spend any further time on this if
it's clear it builds on a true f12 system.  but i'd still like to know
why the above happens.  call me curious.

rday