Opera and Flash

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 15:13:08 UTC 2009

FYI, I have Fedora 11 (mainly waiting to be prompted for an upgrade by the
system. <G>) I just recently reinstalled due to an issue causing the system
to be non-bootable and I'd forgotten how to install Flash on a 64-bit
version of Fedora. Since Adobe "hides" the info I had to get some help from
some local geeks.

After I got it working, I got to thinking about wanting to get Flash to
work with the Opera browser as well, something I've never been able to do.
Between some info I picked up on the web and a "Doh!" moment, I figured out
that you need to match the 64-bit flash with a 64-bit browser. :-) Somehow
that might help a bit. :-)

Long story short, I uninstalled the Opera browser I had installed
previously, went to the Opera website and downloaded the Beta of Opera
10.10. When I went to download, it automagically detected that I was
running a 64-bit O/S and gave me the 64-bit version of Opera 10.10 Beta.
After installing the 64-bit browser, it automatically found the plugin for
Flash and used it without having to configure anything.  Now, all is good
with the world. I have Flash in both Firefox and Opera 10. :-)

Just thought I'd post this so anyone who  was having problems with Opera
and Flash might find it.

Basically it boils down to this: match the 64-bit Flash with the 64-bit
Browser. You have to search a bit for the 64-bit Opera browser, just like
you have to search for the 64-bit Adobe Flash.