low res after F12 upgrade

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 19 16:12:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 16:38 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Here is a sample config I did for an nVidia card. You may need to change
> some stuff. You can use cvt to make new mode lines.

OK, I tried this. It *STILL* comes up only at 800x600! The mode lines I
put in do not seem to have any effect.

I discovered that the problem is related to the external display. If I
start the X server when the laptop is out of the dock (no external
display connected), then it comes up fine at 1024x768. But then as soon
as I put it back in the dock, it reverts to 800x600 and appears to be
trying to use dual-head mode ("mirror screens" is unchecked for me).
Even without an X server restart, it changes to the lower res on the
fly. The external monitor is a full 1920x1080 capable device, so I have
no idea why it would do this. Is there any way to force it to use
1024x768, or turn off the auto-probing that is clearly broken in this
case?

--Greg