How to temporarily disable rpmfusion NVidia driver...

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) space.time.universe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:28:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Steven P. Ulrick <
lists-fedora at afolkey2.net> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
> I am running Fedora 12.  Fresh install (not an upgrade) and fully updated.
>  I am
> also running the NVidia driver from rpmfusion's testing repo.  ALMOST
> everything
> is working perfectly.
>
> Also, I am using the KDE that ships with Fedora 12.
>
> My main issue is that when I hit "Alt | F2", the "Run Command" dialog takes
> about 10 seconds to come up.  Until it does come up, my system is useless.
>  It
> makes no difference if I right click on the desktop and choose "Run
> Command"
> Also, the KDE Kickoff Application Launcher responds slowly.
>
> My first idea is that it is an issue with the Plasma Desktop.  But then why
> would
> it take so long just to start Konsole?
>
> So how can I easily/temporarily disable the rpmfusion NVidia driver for the
> purpose of testing this issue?  Just for testing this, I would really
> rather not
> undo what it took to get this to work as well as it has:
>
> su -
> mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> This all worked perfectly on Fedora 11, and I did not have these issues on
> Fedora 12 until I installed the NVidia driver from rpmfusion testing.
>
> My system's specs should be good enough to handle all the desktop effects
> that I
> might want to throw at it:
> Intel Xeon 2.0GHZ QuadCore processor, 8gigs of RAM, nVidia Corporation G94
> [GeForce 9600 GT] (which includes 512MV of RAM)
>
> So, it would be good to temporarily disable the NVidia driver for testing
> purposes.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick
>
> P.S.: The reason why this MIGHT not be off topic here is that I am using
> the KDE
> that ships with Fedora 12.
>
> --

Execute the following command to unload the nvidia graphics driver.

# rmmod nvidia

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Email: space.time.universe at gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore