Preup to F12, won't boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 19 22:47:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 14:46 -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>   I noticed that in GRUB, the kernel command has a strange root
> argument, some long string that does not look like a path at all.

A unique identifier.  Each partition should have a unique one (and it
probably will, unless you've done some cloning).  It allows you to
specify to use a particular partition, and it won't matter how it's
attached to the computer (dev/sda, sdb, USB, whatever), it'll be used.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.