liveusb-creator -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 19 23:15:25 UTC 2009

        On 19/11/09 17:35, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>         Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  writes:
>
>>             LiveUSB creation failed!
>>
>>             Unknown filesystem for %s. Your device may need to be reformatted.
>>
>         If you haven't already done so you may want to start from the beginning
>         and assume the usb stick has trash for a disklabel and needs to have
>         that rewritten also.  Then you need to mark it as ext3 and finally
>         mkfs.ext3 the partition.
>
>         Simplest way to do all the above is to yum install gparted, have it
>         delete any partitions it finds.  Then have it create a label with one
>         partition that spans the whole drive, label it as ext3 and format as
>         ext3.  (I just needed to do that for an f12 install on a dvdless
>         netbook.  Don't ask me why the liveusb creator doesn't just do all
>         that. It isn't likely that many folks installing a Linux OS for the
>         first time are going to be able to figure out all the above.)
>
>         -wolfgang

        I think I did essentially the same thing, I used fdisk to
        reformat the drive as Linux [83] then did mkfs ext3.

        I was able to copy a text file to it, display the file, and then
        remove it. Everything seemed to work, I just couldn't copy the
        F12 LiveCD iso to it with livecd-tools or liveusb-creator. It
        was a 2 gig stick containing no other files.

        Put the other stick in and it worked. Obviously there's
        something wrong, perhaps with my process? I have another
        computer running F12 on the thumb drive now. Next to decide if I
        want to install from that or try an upgrade procedure. I always
        have to consider bandwidth usage sine I am limited by Wildblue
        to 17 gigs/30days. I'm presently around six gigs used! That's
        why I've been installing from the livecd versions and just
        adding what I want.

        Thanks for the response.

        Bob

        livecd-tools