Pulseaudio security run amuk

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Nov 20 01:04:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:19:33 -0500
"David A. De Graaf" <dad at datix.us> wrote:

<snip>

> Please, can anyone tell me how to fix pulseaudio so that root can play
> a sound from within rc.local, to announce the end of the boot
> sequence and that it's ready for a login?

I have two sound devices.  I dedicate the onboard sound to pulseaudio,
as the default device. I use pavucontrol to turn off the other sound
device in my computer as far as pulseaudio is concerned. I dedicate that
device to sound that I want to produce outside pulse.  It behaves as a
plain alsa device.

pavucontrol-0.9.10-1.fc12.x86_64

Applications -> Sound & Video -> Mixers -> Pulseaudio Volume Control

The last tab, configuration.  Turn off the device by selecting off from
the drop down list.

This might work with only one device.  I haven't tried that.  Not sure
what happens to system sounds and such.  Perhaps pulse sends them
to /dev/null if there is no pulse device.