liveusb-creator -

Dave Higton DAVE.HIGTON at nice.com
Fri Nov 20 08:26:07 UTC 2009

On 2009 November 19 22:13, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 19/11/09 14:51, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >    I have been messing with this for several hours now,
> actually since
> >    yesterday, and can't seem to install livecd on a thumb drive. In
> >    desperation I re-formatted it ext3. That didn't help. I
> can cp and
> >    delete normal files but liveusb-creator is never happy with it?
> >
> >    [root at box9 ~]# mount
> >    shows:
> >    /dev/sdc1 on /mnt/Fedora type ext3 (rw)
> >
> >    But when I click on "Create Live USB" it displays the following:
> >
> >    Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso selected
> >
> >    Verifying filesystem...
> >
> >    Unknown filesystem for %s. Your device may need to be
> reformatted.
> >
> >    LiveUSB creation failed!
> >
> >    Unknown filesystem for %s. Your device may need to be
> reformatted.
> >

> >    Reformatted? I believe it's supposed to work with ext3.
> It was FAT
> >    originally and that produced the same error!
> >
> >    What am I doing wrong?
> >
> >    This is not critical, I could use a CD, But I've put a
> lot of time
> >    into this and hate to give up.
> >
> >    Bob.
> >

>         After trying to do this from command line and with the GUI, I
>         plugged in a different thumb drive and things
> immediately worked
>         as expected!
>
>         I should have known, I had the other stick because it wouldn't
>         work in my daughter's Mac. It always worked for me before but
>         not this time.

There are /many/ usb sticks out there that do not conform to the
USB specifications.  Some come from very reputable makers.

Dave

NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.