Fedora 12 upgrade sucks

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 20 12:57:06 UTC 2009

On 20/11/09 11:57, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 05:28 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

>>> Try booting with "nomodeset"
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>>

>> Well, using nomodeset enabled the Fedora 12 GUI to come up, but I still
>> can't run display configuration, and the nouveau drivers still fail.
>
> What are you referring to as "display configuration"?  What exactly is
> Nouveau failure? Any bug report filed so far?
>
> Rahul

The following command fails

/usr/bin/system-config-display

Curiously I've now got the resolution I had originally by editing the
xorg.conf using display setting from an xorg.conf file saved by the
proprietary driver used in Fedora 11 and specifying the PCI Bus ID to
the appropriate graphics hardware. This is not an easy solution to
implement, and I suspect it's because I have a hSLi hardware
implementation.

This is where I'd have liked to have been after the upgrade in the first
place. But I won't be upgrading my PC to Fedora 12 until the proprietary
drivers are available, as these provide openGL support.

Again, thanks for your help Rahul, and of course thanks to all those
whose advice to others has been invaluable to me.

JB