Curiosity re the term 'Kit' ?!?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Nov 20 20:46:19 UTC 2009

Hi;

As I get ready to upgrade/install to F12 an old curiosity question comes
to mind.  Fedora now has several programs it has packaged with the
designation 'Kit'.  PolicyKit, PackageKit and FirstAidKit come to mind.
I assume it just means a bunch of programs, libraries and dependencies
bundled together.

However, I have never actually seen a definition of a kit.  Has it ever
been formally defined?  Is it a Fedora/RedHat thing or is 'Kit' used
more generally.

Don't get me wrong, I am not objecting.  In fact, I think adding 'Kit'
to a bundle is descriptive and memorable.  If there is a definition or
at least a clear understanding of what a 'Kit' means its addition to a
name can be that more informative.

I was just wondering.

--
Regards Bill