Another preupgrade disaster -

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 20 22:29:14 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 08:50 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I ran preupgrade on an up-to-the-minute-updated F11 system.
> Everything seemed to proceed normally until I "rebooted."
Do you mean rebooted to begin the upgrade ?

> Even then it looked good until an error message came up:
>
> Upgrade root not found
>
> The root for the previously installed system was not found.
>
> Exit Installer [Button]
>
> Don't know what that means. Why does it want the "root" for the
> previous system?
The "root" in this case refers to the top level of your filesystem tree
"/". It can't find it.

Can you post: cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

and also blkid  and mount -l

I'm not sure whether your disk is inaccessible from the installer's
kernel, or maybe the filesystems are mounted by a label or partition
name that might resolve differently with this kernel.