F12 install - how do you preserve your existing /home directory?

Sawrub luckysharma11 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 03:15:53 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 06:30 AM, J. Alex Aycinena wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried installing F12 using the DVD image on the hard drive. In F11,
> I have /home on a physical volume which I want to preserve for the F12
> install. When, in the graphical installer, I get to the partitioning
> phase, I try to assign the existing PV to a Log Volume with a /home
> mount point and anaconda sets the Format check on. In the past I seem
> to remember that you could specify whether you wanted it formatted or
> not (I could be mistaken there), but I don't see how to do it in F12.
> How do I specify that that LogVol should not be formatted? Otherwise,
> how can you preserve an existing /home directory without losing all
> your data?
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

Once you enter the 'custom partationing' scheme, there you see all of
the disk partitions. There you need to know that which /dev/sda? is your
'home' volume. Which can be dome by going to another VT and firing
# cat /etc/fstab
and then passing the UUID corresponding to the /home to the command like :
findfs UUID=5ea26cf8-c791-4e22-b4ba-18e4d7c6f872
/dev/sda8
Once that is known then switchingh to the VT - 1 where the installation
is going on.The same partition can be selected , the EDIT button be
clicked, the new pop-up will open where there will be option for like under
http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/uploads/2008-05-26-fdp1-partitioning-3.png
Now all that needed is
Mount Point : /home
'DO NOT' select "Format as" as you do not need that. Please let me know
if any more help needed.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644