F12 NFS Failures

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Sat Nov 21 16:50:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 06:33 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]

Hi Antonio

Thanks for the reply

NFS is definitely running to some extent as home directories are mounted OK
and my global directory is also mounted OK.
The client only seems to fail during a large/long transfer

The autofs (NIS exported) files of interest are

maui.jaa.org.uk ~ 1# cat /etc/auto.home
#*      -fstype=nfs     148.197.29.5:/exports/home/&
*       -fstype=nfs4,rsize=32768,wsize=32768    148.197.29.5:/home/&

maui.jaa.org.uk ~ 2# cat /etc/auto.direct
#/global    -fstype=nfs  148.197.29.5:/exports/global
/global    -fstype=nfs4,rsize=32768,wsize=32768  148.197.29.5:/global

The client locks up with no indication of a problem in /var/log/messages
after a restart

The server shows
[root at maui ~]# cat /var/log/messages |grep nfs
Nov 20 16:25:48 maui kernel: nfs4_cb: server 148.197.29.252 not responding, timed out

The client falls over at "random" times during a transfer and leaves a partially
copied file when using cp

I did wonder whether it was something to do with FS-Cache but
as far as I can see nfs is not using it.
dmesg includes
FS-Cache: Loaded
FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching

but this shows no activity
cat /proc/fs/fscache/stats

John