Fedora 12 sha1sum

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Nov 22 03:27:27 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Felipe Nunez <gatopardo at codetel.net.do> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>>> when I verify the sha1sum
>>>  for the twice download files I get the same value in both
>>> cases:
>>> $
>>> sha1sum f12/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>> 97a018ba32d43d0e76d032834fe7562bffe8ceb3
>>>  f12/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>> $
>>> sha1sum Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>> 97a018ba32d43d0e76d032834fe7562bffe8ceb3
>>>  Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
>>>
> [...]
>
>> There was a change to sha256sum , please run
>> $ sha256sum Fed*
>> and see if they match or not?
>>

> We got so many questions on this that we added a large red note to the
> top of https://fedoraproject.org/verify telling folks that the 'Hash:
> SHA1' line is part of the PGP signature and has nothing to do with the
> type of checksum used for verifying the .iso.
>
> For future releases, the *-CHECKSUM files will include some
> instructions and, likely, a link to https://fedoraproject.org/verify
> to (hopefully) make this clearer.

Which will be great for those of us that just download stuff and check
the checksums without reading any instructions!

I was a little concerned about the checksum not matching on the i386
disc1 iso (I rsync all the rest and install of my own repo servers), and
decided to check the list before crying for help!  For a change I
actually found a thread with the answer (normally I just don't use the
right search info).