Fedora 12 sha1sum

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Nov 22 15:20:13 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Woudld it be possible to do the signature using SHA256 also?  On one
> of the iso's I recently burned did have a checksum file with a gpg
> SHA256 signature hash.  That was enough to remind me that I should
> be using the SHA256 for checksumming the iso.

Yes, that is generally a goal.  The F-11 *-CHECKSUM files were signed
using a SHA-256 hash.  One unfortunate effect of moving to the Sigul
signing server for F-12 is that controlling the hash used for gpg
signatures is more difficult and resulted in the default SHA-1 being
used.

However, while using SHA-256 every where is the goal, it's still good
to make people aware that the GPG Hash: header and the checksum used
for the .iso are not related at all.  It seems that far too many
people make the mistaken assumption that they are. :/

The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate
it.
    -- Franklin P. Jones