f12 yum/rpm commands to list all dependencies on a library

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sun Nov 22 22:44:49 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 08:37 PM, Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 09-11-21 21:07:14, Skunk Worx wrote:
>> On f12 I see a package called oprofile-gui depends on the qt3-3.8b
>> rpm.
>>
>> What command(s) can I run inside a local repo (where all the rpm
>> packages are) that will tell me how many f12 "Everything" packages
>> are still using qt3?
>
>      # repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps qt3
>
> You may need to specify the repository with
> "--repofrompath=<repoid>,<path/url>" see `man repoquery`.
>

>> What command(s) can I run for the locally installed package set that
>> will tell me how many packages are still using qt3?
>
> Well, there's always `yum remove qt3` and answer "no" (as long as
> "assumeyes" is not set).
>

>> I have a project that I am porting to x86_64/qt4 and would prefer not
>> to mix the two subsystems on my development machine.
>>
>> The /etc/profile.d/qt* files are currently pointing the default
>> QTDIR, QTINC, QTLIB, and PATH variables at qt-3.3 locations even
>> though I'v installed qt-devel which is qt-4.5.
>
> Possibly this is a use for a chroot, or maybe mock or even mach.  (I
> have not done this.)

I used both of the suggestions and they do exactly what I want.

There are 257 qt3 projects in the repo, many of which are explicitly qt3
named so the actual list could be shorter....only oprofile_gui is
currently installed and requiring qt3.

Still undecided on whether to remove the gui and risk future breakage by
changing the paths or running chroot etc.

Thanks,
John