could the "missing codec" redirection be more informative?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 23 04:47:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> >> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   i wasn't suggesting that the diagnostic solve the problem.  but
> > would it be unacceptable for it to give *general* advice about
> > possibly adding extra repositories to your system, and by the way,
> > here's a page with a list of possible repos, do with them what you
> > will.
> >
> >   is that unreasonable?
> >
> Yes, it is likely unreasonable.  Again, the advice is not "general"
> it is being given in response to a specific issue.
>
> If I talk about ways to defeating different alarm systems on a car
> without having been prompted for advice I am just talking about it.
> But, if someone says....I tried breaking into a Lexus but couldn't
> and I respond with even general advice it is pretty clear what my
> intentions are.  I'm intending to instruct you how to break into a
> Lexus.  It is the "intent" that matters.

  oh, balls.  a page from fedoraproject.org:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OtherRepositories

*explicitly* refers readers to rpmfusion.org, for the following
reason:

"There are a number of third-party software repositories for Fedora
that provide software packages that Fedora excludes for various
reasons. These software repositories are not officially affiliated or
endorsed by the Fedora Project. Use them at your own discretion."

are you seriously suggesting that it would now be legally problematic
to go here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKit_Items_Not_Found#Missing_Codec

and add a line reading nothing more than:

"you might want to read this page over here (linking to that first
page)."

  that strikes me as hair-splitting of the finest kind, and i can't
believe that a half-competent lawyer couldn't figure out a way to do
that.

rday