Installing Sun VirtualBox 3.0.12 and VMware Workstation 7 on Fedora 11 x86_64

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) space.time.universe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:40:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 23 November 2009 10:29:55 Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> > VMware Server 2 is not compatible with Fedora 11 x86_64, i.e. kernels
> > 2.6.29.4 and up. So don't bother to try compiling vmmon modules for
> VMware
> > Server.
> >
> > If you encounter problems while compiling the vboxdrv and vmmon kernel
> > modules, it may be that your local kernel source tree is not properly
> > configured.
> >
> > In my case:
> >
> > # cd /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-enming.teo
> >
> > # rm build (symbolic link)
> >
> > # ln -s /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.30.5 build
> >
> > # rm source (symblic link)
> >
> > # ln -s /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.30.5 source
> >
> > Go to your kernel source tree. Some kernel header files may not be
> present.
> >
> > # cd /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.30.5
> >
> > If .config exists,
> >
> > # make oldconfig
> >
> > # make prepare
> >
> > This will generate the missing kernel headers.
>
> Why not just
>
>   yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
>
> or "yum install kernel-headers", which is apparently included in the above
> group?
>
> > For VirtualBox,
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> >
> > Above step will recompile linux kernel modules for VirtualBox. There will
> >  be 3 kernel modules.
> >
> > To load the vboxdrv kernel module,
> >
> > # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start
>
> If you did the yum thing above *before* installing VirtualBox, there is no
> need for these steps. Otherwise they are needed, at least I remember doing
> the
> first one.
>
> I wouldn't know about VMware, gave up on it after having too much trouble
> with
> kernel drivers. VirtualBox appears to provide equivalent functionality, and
> is
> (mostly) open source, so I don't expect the same trouble with building
> kernel
> modules. ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Hi Marko,

I have custom kernels.

Oh ya, if VirtualBox complains about VMX_ROOT when starting virtual
machines, do the following:

# rmmod kvm_intel

Then your virtual machine should start normally.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Email: space.time.universe at gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore