webcam on eeepc 901

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Nov 23 12:09:09 UTC 2009

On 11/23/2009 12:42 PM, fred smith wrote:
> the webcam works (for some definitions of "works"), but... I can
> fire up cheese and see myself on the screen as I move around. it will
> take still photos. but when I tell it to record a movie the subwindow
> where the video should display goes black for many seconds, then every
> once in a while (30 seconds or possibly longer) it will display a
> still image, then wait a long while before updating the screen with
> another one. if I let it "record" for a minute or two then stop it
> and play back, the playback is just like what I saw during recording.

It's the encoding of the video that takes resources.

On my 901 cheese runs at >180% CPU time during the recording.

You can lower the resolution in preferences, and it will actually
do a recording.

Or try some other software?

mplayer will display from the camera with:

mplayer tv://

so maybe mencoder can be used to make a recording?

> so, what experiences have the rest of you had on eeepc with F10/F11/F12?
> And does anyone have any suggestions on  how to make it work?

I had F11 on mine where I've partitioned the 4G+16G disks into one
logical volume. That was painfully slow.

"Luckily" my preupgrade to F12 ruined my system (I had cleaned /boot,
tune2fs -r 0 /dev/sda1, it rebooted and started the upgrade. It stopped
after 175 packages, and left me an F11½ system. I could neither continue
the upgrade or go back) so I did a fresh installation. I did a minimal
installation with / on the 4G and /home and swap on the slower 16G disk.

I've moved and symlinked /var/cache and /usr/share to /home to get more
space on /.

F12 now works much better than F11.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Mobile: +45 22 12 53 25
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk