modprobe.conf

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Nov 24 01:53:21 UTC 2009

On 11/23/2009 05:45 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I have both 32 and 64 bit fedora 12 on different partitions,
> both installed from the respective DVD iso images, both
> installed with near identical package selections (I have
> virtualization on 64 bit, but didn't bother on 32 bit).
>
> The 32 bit version whines about /etc/modprobe.conf existing
> at several points during the boot, and there is indeed
> a totally empty /etc/modprobe.conf file on the system.
>
> If I try to find out where it came from, I get this:
>
> [root at zooty /]# rpm -q -f /etc/modprobe.conf
> file /etc/modprobe.conf is not owned by any package
>
> So some 32 bit package I installed created this
> file, but won't own up to it :-).
>
> I supposed it wouldn't hurt anything to delete it
> since it is empty?

/etc/modprob.conf is not owned by an RPM as it's not distributed as
part of an RPM.  It is created during installation by a script.

Can you remove it?  Yes.  I'd be curious to know what's whining.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -