F12 EEEPC 1000H WLAN with hidden SSID no go

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Nov 24 20:14:58 UTC 2009

Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed F12 on my EEEPC 1000H. Everything is working fine
> besides the WLAN connection to an access point with hidden SSID.
> I installed the rt2860 drivers from rpmfusion, activated
> wpa_supplicant and now I can see the WLAN acces point of my neighbors
> in Network Manager, but after entering the details of my own hidden
> WLAN Network Manager keeps asking for the WLAN passphrase again and
> again.
>
> I also have Ubuntu 9.10 on this EEEPC and there the connection to my
> hidden WLAN worked out of the box. Also, on a DELL D620 laptop with
> Intel WLAN card and F12 the connection to my hidden WLAN works just
> fine.
>
> Any ideas how to get this going on the EEEPC in F12?

I don't have an FC12 machine available to me without walking to another part of
the building, so this is from memory. Right click the network icon and go to
Network Connections->Wireless->New. You have a box which wants your SSID, leave
it blank and fill in the box for MAC instead.

I also saw something when I set the machines up referring to hidden addresses,
sorry to say I didn't need it and don't remember.

I don't use hidden SSID much, as it only lends a tiny bit of security, under the
"Hiking in Bear Country" theory. You don't have to outrun the bear, you have to
outrun the slowest member of the party. If your site is harder to hack it
discourages the incompetent who run a script but understand nothing. It makes
you slightly more attractive to someone who is competent, so take your choice.

Good luck.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>