NetworkManager calls new network card eth2, not eth1

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Nov 24 20:48:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:26:09 +1100
Nick Urbanik wrote:

> I would really like to understand NetworkManager, but it makes things
> more complicated for me on this machine.

For a change this particular problem has nothing to do with
NetworkManager :-). Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/
for a file named something like 70-persistent-net.rules

It has a udev rule fixing the ethernet interface name
based on the MAC. If you replace a NIC, the name always
gets changed until you edit this file and remove the old
interface and change the named of the new interface (and
reboot).