securing mysql server on Fedora/CentOS

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 25 05:49:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 20:31 -0800, Ed Landaveri wrote:
> Craig, the 666 is a typo is indeed 644. Anyway the question is if there is any other installation directory for mysql than /var/lib/mysql
>
> I'm following the MySql certification guide to secure it. This is their recommendation. I'm just looking for the answer to the question above.
----
the installation directory is whatever you chose when you compiled the
tarball.

How in the world is anyone going to know that but you but if you simply
want guesses, that would likely be /usr/local/bin (like /usr/local,
should not be changed).

If you are going to compile things and can't be bothered to
do ./configure --help or pass the configure parameters to guide the
process to install into designated locations and can't figure out how to
read a Makefile that will tell you where things are going when you tell
it to 'install', how is anyone else going to know this? You have all of
the information at your fingertips and we have none.

The data directory, the socket location, PID location are also of
concern - if you actually want to wonder about security but in reality,
the package installation with SELinux will be substantially more secure
than where you are headed (obviously with SELinux disabled).

Craig

believed to be clean.