need help with update-alternatives

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Nov 25 06:28:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recently installed 'most' which is claims to be a more capable pager than
'less'. Instead of using a 'alias' as I normally would, I decided to try using
the alternatives system. So, i read the docs and came up with ..

$ alternatives --install /usr/bin/less less /usr/bin/most 90 --verbose

and although now I do have a soft link from /etc/alternatives/less to
/usr/bin/most, the system still does not use 'most' instead of 'less'. Does
anyone have suggestions on how to make this work ?

Note, I do know about creating an 'alias' but I'd still like to know what is the
'right' way to use the alternatives system.

cheers,
- steve
--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/