Part of hard disk disappeared after installing Fedora 12?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed Nov 25 07:05:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, November 24, 2009 7:10 am, fedora wrote:
> check your LVM settings, apparently, the partition mounted as / is from
> an LVM construct.
> pvdisplay
> vgdisplay
> lvdisplay

the output of those commands is pasted below. I don't understand what's
going on, because the disk is 350 GB. If I read the outputs below
correctly, I now have a boot partition (~200 MB), a swap and a /partition
of ~230 GB (ok, they are volumes, not partitions, but the size is that
anyway, isn't it?).

So unless I am missing something, there are about 100 GB missing. Is this
the case? If yes, why did it happen and, above all: how do I tell Fedora
to find it and mount it to some point of the filesystem) that part of the
disk?

TIA,
Marco

[root at polaris ~]# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               vg_polaris
  PV Size               232.69 GB / not usable 673.00 KB
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              59568
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          59568
  PV UUID               Va9Oqd-UJyY-X6Xx-9Ftm-5eVV-KviL-ppzUpG

[root at polaris ~]# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg_polaris
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               232.69 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              59568
  Alloc PE / Size       59568 / 232.69 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               iLl1Si-AWSN-S3CQ-LQAj-QjcY-B8EL-TubYBG

[root at polaris ~]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg_polaris/lv_root
  VG Name                vg_polaris
  LV UUID                B5afnx-i2RR-MOCe-ygYh-Ty7q-aYPU-M9i5dN
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                222.98 GB
  Current LE             57084
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg_polaris/lv_swap
  VG Name                vg_polaris
  LV UUID                t91zEa-CtPu-rM0p-qy3I-SLFu-bn72-frH9Md
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                9.70 GB