Creating a local RPM repository

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 25 15:44:43 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 14:34 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> It looks as if in any reasonable use 'cost' and 'priority' provide the
>> same functionality. Features from the Department of Redundancy
>> Department.
>
> I could imagine a system where you had some per-per-byte sources
> (perhaps cheap at night, expensive during the day), versus things you
> found important, and you'd like some way to automate deciding when it's
> worth the expense and when it's not, for controlling the automatic yum
> updating.
>
> Of course, you'd have to do some mental gymnastics, in the first place,
> to assess the relative merits of them all, to do the configuration.  Me,
> I just do a manual yum update when the computer's not busy, and I've not
> nearly exhausted my monthly download allowance.  ;-)

I have a hard time thinking of a case where I'd use both 'cost' and 'priority'
was my point. They seem to provide the same capability to select which repo is
getting used most, with a different spin. I wonder why priority was even added,
or if it existed before cost.

Historical curiosity only, either will do, cost without a plugin.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>