Sky2 NIC Problem? - Was F12 NFS Failures

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 25 19:32:40 UTC 2009

John Austin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been fighting my problem with system freezes
> described in the previous thread
> I have added a 2nd NIC to the machine
> and tested across an NFS mount using md2sum as before
>
> The machine now has
>
> An on board Marvell 8380 GB/s nic that uses the sky2 driver
> A D-Link 530T GB/s nic that uses the skge driver
>
> I am using a Netgear GS108T GB/s switch to a Centos 5.4
> nfs4 server.
>
> The machine is booted with only one NIC connected at a time
>
> 	D-link		Marvell
> F11	OK		OK
> F12	OK		Fails
>
> Fails = Hardware button press required after "random" time during
> read/checksum calc of 8GB file set
>
> My conclusion was that it must be the F12 sky2 driver not NFS
>
> I then down loaded the latest "Working" F11 kernel source rpm and
> extracted sky2.c and sky2.h
> and compiled these against the F12 kernel
>
> I thought this must fix the problem - but no!
> The machine still freezes during the md5sum test
>
> I am rapidly running out of ideas !!
>
> Any help appreciated

I have no help, but I do have information. There have been reports of problems
in the sky2 driver in the 2.6.32-rc tests. These may have nothing to do with
your problem, or may lead to a patch which will appear in the Fedora kernels.

If you want to compare the sources from the two kernels it might tell you
something, but the issue may be in interrupt handling, not the driver itself. I
saw something on a chat suggesting that selecting a different hardware source
for the clock may solve network hang issues. I neither know what issues or why
that would help, unless it's some time jumps backward issue still with us.

You now have all the relevant info I do, whether it qualifies as "help" is up to
you.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>