fedora 12, attempt to install dual boot with OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on MacBook Pro

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 14:58:05 UTC 2009

I was running Fedora 10 under bootcamp, dual booting with OS X 10.4.11
(Tiger) on a MacBook Pro.

I began (using the live boot CD) an install of Fedora 12. When I got to the
point where you reboot to continue, the Fedora partition (an LVM, I just let
the installer do what it wanted) was not a bootable drive. That is, bootcamp
didn't see it anymore.

I booted up into OS X and tried the bootcamp assistant, which no longer
runs. Apparently there is no version of bootcamp that still runs on the
version of OS X that I have.

So I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone solved this?
2) If not, if I ditch OS X for good (I'm not going to pay for a new OS on
this 4 yr old computer), should I expect any particular problems with Fedora
12 on this older MacBook Pro? It's an Intel Core Duo (not core 2 duo) model
with ATI Radeon X1600.

The only reasons I keep OS X now are 1) can't get bluetooth to work under
Fedora 10; 2) Can't get my java-based VPN portal to load up under Fedora 10
on this computer. The ATI doesn't do everything it should, but that doesn't
bother me (I've never tried to fix it).

Thanks,
Matt