Your experience of Firefox + HTML5

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 16:10:39 UTC 2009

2009/11/26 Andrea <mariofutire at googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> recently Firefox has become capable of playing video directly without plugins.
> It's the big HTML5 + <video> saga.
>
> I'm running Fedora 11 super up to date and I have to say that this things works a bit but not very well.
>
> Take for instance the home page of firefox and click bottom left
>
> http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/video/
>
> It's a good example of what does not work.
>
> If I pause the video there is no way of starting again.
>
> And the same for all other HTML5 videos I've seen.
>
> Has anybody tried http://www.youtube.com/html5, this is even worse as it does not work even without
> pressing pause.

Not on a Fedora system right now, but the
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/video/ example is working for
me on Firefox 3.5.5 on Slackware (pausing, backwards and forwards,
etc.), so that might be a Fedora-specific problem. The
http://www.youtube.com/html5 example does not work, right clicking on
it to 'save as' shows it is an mp4 file, which is probably not
supported without extra plugins. The failure to specify a basic codec
support for HTML5 was its major failing.

--
imalone