Is F12 ready to upgrade ? Is it worth it ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Nov 26 16:17:01 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 02:08 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Terry Barnaby wrote:
>
>>> It surprises me that there is not a greater attempt
>>> to get feed-back on the frequency of problems,
>>> or equally, the lack of problems.
>>> I would have thought it would be relatively easy
>>> to design an online form that Fedora users
>>> could be asked to complete.
>>>

>> There are certainly issues with X11 graphics in F12. On 4 different
>> systems I have installed it on 3 do not work in 3D (System hangs, etc).
>> 2 of the systems have hangs (X11 and/or system) in 2D.
>
> If you don't mind my using your problem as a hook to hang an opinion on:
> You have had graphics problems with 3 out of 4 machines.
> Personally, I have had no graphics problems with Fedora-12/KDE
> on 5 machines, though I have had other minor (and unimportant) problems.
>
> But how rare or common is your experience?
> Have only 5% of Fedora users had graphics problems with F-12?
> Or is it 50%? Or 75%?
>
> I don't see how it is possible to plan development rationally
> without some idea of the statistics.

I agree. I could be unlucky with my particular systems. Although from
the forum there apear to be many people having install problems that sound
like Graphics driver issues. I am also mainly talking about 3D apps that,
I guess, a lot of people do not use.
Are there any statistics of actual F12 users, not just those who downloaded
the systems and installed them ? (I have test installed 5 F12 systems but use
none of them).