buffer overflow in system-config-httpd

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Nov 27 12:15:54 UTC 2009

Robert G. (Doc) Savage writes:

> system-config-httpd-1.4.6-1.fc12.noarch appears to be badly borked:
>
> # system-config-httpd
> *** buffer overflow detected ***; /usr/bin/python terminated
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> ... long backtrace ...
> 3743809000-374380a000 rw-p 00009000 08:02 353257
> /usr/lib64/libXcursor.so.1.0.2/usr/share/system-config-httpd/system-config
> /httpd: line 4:  2922 Aborted                 (core dumped)
> /usr/bin/python /usr/share/systemconfig-httpd/ApacheConf.py
>
> Has anyone else noticed this and BZ'd it?
>
> I don't see a newer version in fedora-testing and development has the
> same version number.

>From looking at system-config-httpd, it appears to be a pure Python package.
I am unable to find any compiled extensions that this package loads.

As such, any resulting segfault in Python must therefore be a Python bug. No
pure Python package should be responsible for segfaults in the python
interpreter itself.

I've got an utterly useless abrt report filed against my pure python
package. By "utterly useless" I mean only the segfault, with no backtrace of
any kind whatsoever. I'm tempted to reassign it to python itself.