Default keyring for NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:26:39 UTC 2009

On each boot nm-applet is asking me for a default keyring password in order to
get to the WPA key for my wireless. I have looked around to find something that
manages this keyring in order to configure it to allow this access
automatically, but to no avail.

Finally, I found some instructions in the Fedora wiki,

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager

but they seem to be somewhat outdated. Yum could not find the pam_keyring
package in any F12 repositories (is it renamed?), and pam_keyring.so is not
provided by any existing package. Also, I use kdm (and KDE) instead of gdm, so
not sure if the procedure given in the wiki would apply.

Google was not my friend this time. I even went out of my way and searched
through the F12 release notes :-) , but found nothing.

I simply want to connect to my wireless automatically upon boot and not being
asked for any passwords. I have also enabled autologin in kdm in order to get
logged in automatically (this works beautifully, btw).

So how do I make this work? Is there a way for nm-applet to store the WPA key
locally and not use the keyring? Is there a way to tell the keyring that nm-
applet does not need a password to access it? I'd be happy with any option
that works with no typing involved.

Oh, yes, the keyring password is the same as my login password.

TIA, :-)
Marko