Default keyring for NetworkManager

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Nov 27 14:53:44 UTC 2009

Marko Vojinovic writes:

> I simply want to connect to my wireless automatically upon boot and not being
> asked for any passwords. I have also enabled autologin in kdm in order to get
> logged in automatically (this works beautifully, btw).

I got this to work myself. However, I think that the only way to both
autologin from gdm/kdm, and unlock the keyring, is to set an empty password
on your keyring.

Use seahorse to set a blank password on your keyring. If it won't let you,
delete your keyring completely. On the next login you'll be prompted to
create one, create it with a blank password.

> Oh, yes, the keyring password is the same as my login password.

However since you're on autologin, you never enter your login password.
Since your password is encrypted in the password file, certain inconvenient
laws of physics that govern our shared universe make it impossible for any
app to automatically obtain your cleartext password, and use it to unlock
your keyring.