F12 - Can't configure services over a VNC connection

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Fri Nov 27 14:54:37 UTC 2009

Does anybody check to see if the configurations work when running these new
distros on a head less box? I had problems with F10 being unstable on a P4
box, don't know if its a hardware or software issue. Started getting weird
messages about missing python modules, and other python errors, while trying
to run yum, some apps failed to work, couldn't even log in as root a few
times. It all started after one kernel update a while back and noticed some
file system corruption issues, garbage showing up in the folder listings.
Anyway that's all another story. I gave up on having it screw up so
installed F12 on the same hardware to see what happens.

After getting F12 going using VNC I tried configuring some services, the
normal enable - disable - start - stop stuff, using the GUI. It won't let
you do it. From a directly connected console OK, but not remotely. Same goes
for the Samba setup GUI too, won't work over a remote VNC connection. It
doesn't even ask for root privileges when you try to change something like
what happens with the directly connected console. I had to install the menu
editor app and manually change those two to open in a terminal window using
the (su -c "xxxxx") work around on the command line entry.

I've only had this version, F12, installed for the passed few hours and I'm
already finding simple stuff that doesn't work. I had similar experiences
with F10 as well. So the problem has been around for a while. Are these
simple PAM errors / miss configurations or what? I would think this would be
simple enough to fix and have it stay that way.