Default keyring for NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:31:24 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 November 2009 14:53:44 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic writes:
> > I simply want to connect to my wireless automatically upon boot and not
> > being asked for any passwords. I have also enabled autologin in kdm in
> > order to get logged in automatically (this works beautifully, btw).
>
> I got this to work myself. However, I think that the only way to both
> autologin from gdm/kdm, and unlock the keyring, is to set an empty password
> on your keyring.
>
> Use seahorse to set a blank password on your keyring. If it won't let you,
> delete your keyring completely. On the next login you'll be prompted to
> create one, create it with a blank password.

It works! Great, thanks a lot! :-)

The magic word here was "seahorse" --- actually quite a natural and intuitive
name for a keyring manager application, what can I say... It did let me create
an empty password, after a couple of "are you sure" warnings.

> However since you're on autologin, you never enter your login password.
> Since your password is encrypted in the password file, certain inconvenient
> laws of physics that govern our shared universe make it impossible for any
> app to automatically obtain your cleartext password, and use it to unlock
> your keyring.

That's precisely what I was afraid of --- the system cannot read the password
if I don't type it. Way too inconvenient, if you ask me... :-D

Thanks again for help!

Best, :-)
Marko