F12 - Can't configure services over a VNC connection

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Nov 27 15:34:21 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> KC8LDO wrote:
>

>> After getting F12 going using VNC I tried configuring some services,
>> the normal enable - disable - start - stop stuff, using the GUI. It
>> won't let you do it. From a directly connected console OK, but not
>> remotely. Same goes for the Samba setup GUI too, won't work over a
>> remote VNC connection. It doesn't even ask for root privileges when
>> you try to change something like what happens with the directly
>> connected console. I had to install the menu editor app and manually
>> change those two to open in a terminal window using the (su -c
>> "xxxxx") work around on the command line entry.
>>

> FYI, I've just tried this on a system with a display.  When I try to use
> a GUI on a VNC connection that needs root privileges the dialog
> requesting the root password appears on my normal display.  Haven't
> determined what controls that behavior.  And may not before my head hits
> the keyboard.....

FWIW, if you run system-config-services from the command line you'll get
the following when you attempt to perform an operation.....

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/system-config-services", line 883, in
on_serviceDisable_activate
    service.disable()
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scservices/dbus/proxy/services.py",
line 81, in disable
    return self.chkconfig_interface.disable()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/slip/dbus/proxies.py", line 49,
in __call__
    return dbus.proxies._ProxyMethod.__call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in
__call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630,
in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
org.fedoraproject.slip.dbus.service.PolKit.NotAuthorizedException.org.fedoraproject.config.services.manage:

--
Captain Penny's Law: You can fool all of the people some of the time,
and some of the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom. Guess