Problem with using wireless usb adapter

Brian Wood woodbrian77 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 23:24:50 UTC 2009

I'm having some trouble getting internet/ssh working over
a Linksys wireless usb adapter -- model WUSB54GSC.

I did get it working one time, but don't know why or if
I did something to make it work.  I see the access
point I want to use and connect to it.  That seems to work.
Then iwconfig reports

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan2     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"brian"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Access Point: 00:1C:10:3B:06:97
          Bit Rate=36 Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm
          RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
          Link Quality=57/100  Signal level=57/100

But bringing up a URL or ssh'ing to another machine doesn't work.
I'm using Fedora 12.  If I use an ethernet cable instead of the
wireless, everything works fine.  Any ideas on what to check
or do?

Also in a separate matter ...
With F11 the screen saver would gradually (fade in), but with F12 it
happens suddenly.  I would like to have it fade in gradually again
on F12.  I've looked at the screen saver preferences but didn't
see a way to control that.  How can I make it behave the way I
want?  TIA

--
Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net <http://www.webebenezer.net/>