Why is there no 32 bit version of firefox available for 64bit F12?

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 02:16:00 UTC 2009

I tried installing the 32bit version along with the assorted 32bit
libraries, but I couldn't get the 32bit version to run due to some cryptic
message which I didn't write down :-(  What I find strange is that if I
install the 32bit version of flash the 64 bit bit firefox does not see it,
but it does see the 32bit version of nppdf.so the Adobe pdf plugin.  I tried
putting the 32bit flash library in my .mozilla/plugins directory, which is
where nppdf.so is, but firefox still doen't find the 32bit flash player.

The problem I'm seeing goes away when I remove all cookies related to
safaribooksonline, but when I try to reload the safaribooksonline web page
firefox crashes and I get an alert from abrt saying firefox crashed. If I
restart firefox then things work fine for a while before I start having
problems with flash again.

This brings up an issue regarding abrt.  The first time firefox crashed abrt
popped up telling me firefox crashed and asking me what to do.  I chose to
report the problem.  abrt spent the next 10-15 minutes downloading 42
debuginfo packages then it popped up an alert box titled please wait.  This
dialog box stayed up for the next 45 minutes with no feeddback as to what
was going on.  In addition I was dead in the water because the mouse no
longer worked.  I could move it around, but I was unable to click on
anything.  After 45 minutes I typed ctrl-alt-F2 to get to a virtual console
and killed abrt.  This led to me getting logged out of my system.  Is this
the way abrt is supposed to behave?  Since this occurred abrt has never
again asked me whether I want to report the problem it just tells me firefox
crashed.  Is there something I need to do to get it to ask again so the
crash info can be sent?

Thanks
Paolo