Missing space on flash drive

.:: [F]usion[S]tream ::. -- online fusionstream at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 05:52:00 UTC 2009

I know this is technically not a fedora question, but I'm hoping to leverage
on the collective smarts here.

I recently received a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB. I successfully removed all the U3
crap.

However, after converting the fs type to ext3, GParted displays a used space
of around 900MB. df displays a different amount and qtparted displays yet
another amount. Converting back to fat32 in GParted displays 15MB of usage
whereas converting in Windows displays 8kB usage.

With ext4, GParted displays a used amount of ~450MB.

The total size is mostly correct with regards to Sandisk's 16GB actually
being 16billion byes. What is a new filesystem displaying false used space
readings? What is happening?