Missing space on flash drive

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 29 14:51:27 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 11:52 PM, .:: [F]usion[S]tream ::. -- online wrote:
> I know this is technically not a fedora question, but I'm hoping to
> leverage on the collective smarts here.
>
> I recently received a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB. I successfully removed all
> the U3 crap.
>
> However, after converting the fs type to ext3, GParted displays a used
> space of around 900MB. df displays a different amount and qtparted
> displays yet another amount. Converting back to fat32 in GParted
> displays 15MB of usage whereas converting in Windows displays 8kB usage.
>
> With ext4, GParted displays a used amount of ~450MB.
>
> The total size is mostly correct with regards to Sandisk's 16GB actually
> being 16billion byes. What is a new filesystem displaying false used
> space readings? What is happening?

There are a couple of reasons for the disk space being used. First,
with journaling file systems like ext3, you have space for the
journal. Also, unless you specify otherwise, you have space reserved
for root when you create the file system.

I am not sure why qtparted and gparted would display different
amount, as both are front ends for parted, so they should be
starting with the same numbers.

Mikkel