Upgrade from F11 to F12 - problem with LVM and raid

jaivuk jaivuk at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 30 00:03:34 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I tried to upgrade F11 with soft raid F12. So far I used yum to upgrade
Fedora 1 up to F11. My yum update went wrong and my server wes forcefully
rebooted in the middle so none kernel from F11 works anymore.

After I booted F12 DVD - if I select "Install or Upgrade" and  "Replace
existing Linux System" the probem is that my original raid raids are not
mounted. I can see:

<6>md6: radi1: raid set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
<6>md0: detected capacity change from 0 to xxxx

<3>"Buffer I/O error on device md0, logical block 0"
<3>"Buffer I/O error on device md0, logical block 9"
<6>md0: detected capacity change from xxxx to 0
<6>md: md0 is stopped

This whole raid process repeats iteslf several times and it takes about
10-15 minutes.

However with "Replace existing Linux System" option, raid arrays are not
mounted successfuly and I cannot install F12 over F11.

But when I select rescue option from F12 DVD, the same errors are displayed
but my all old arrays are eventually mounted, so I can see all the files.
Also once arrays are mounted they appear working and healthy.

Do you please have any hint how can I refresh or repair my md arrayrs so it
does not take ages before these are mounted and at the first place they are
mounted every time?
Is there any safe raid command I can do in rescue mode so this is achieved
and I won't loss my data?
Do you think that my raid arrays created in times of Fefdora 1 can cause
this problem?

This situation is very painful as I killed my day today trying to fix it
without luck :(

Thank you very much gyus,

Jaiv

PS: During my initial tries I reinstalled swap (as it was encrypted on the
old system and Anaconda always asked for pw which I do not have) and I did
it with the command:
mkswap -f -L swap /dev/VolGrolup00/LogVol00
Do you think I could have damaged my raid arrays by using "-f" option?