Preupgrade: anaconda can't find NIC?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:50:36 UTC 2009

System is a 64-bit Fedora 11 guest on RHEL 5.4 KVM.  Trying to upgrade
to Fedora 12 via preupgrade.  Everything downloads fine, but I get
nothing but a black screen after the guest reboots and anaconda starts.

Adding "text" to the kernel line in grub.conf let's me see an anaconda
backtrace.  The root error seems to be this:

   dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice: No
   device with id /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0

The guest does have a single VirtIO virtual NIC, which works just fine
in Fedora 11.

Any ideas?  Thanks!