Printing considered hard?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 8 15:50:31 UTC 2009

On 10/08/2009 11:39 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Tim Waugh<twaugh at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 17:04 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
>>
>> The change you will be expected to make on the client is to allow CUPS
>> broadcast packets from the server.  To do that:
>>
>> 1. System->Administration->Firewall
>> 2. Make sure 'Network Printing Client (IPP)' is enabled
>> 3. Click 'Apply'
>>
> I think I may be having the same (or similar problem). I've been
> running F11 on my desktop since shortly after release but my wife as
> been running F10 until just recently, however the problem seemed to be
> present for her on both F10 and F11. She was using auto-discovered
> printer queues for a while but at some point they just disappeared so
> I manually configured my printer (over IPP). After upgrading her
> (actually fresh install) to F11 and opening up the firewall
> auto-discover once again worked (for a day or two), then just
> yesterday she tried to print and all the printer queues were gone
> again.
>
> My network is a simple home network, all one subnet (192.168.0.X) She
> is working over wireless on a laptop but that shouldn't matter. She
> does not sleep/hibernate her laptop as it doesn't work well so that
> shouldn't be causing any issues.
>
> I can provide more config info but nothing was changed by me or my
> wife from the time it was working to the time it stopped.
>
> Richard

I set Network printing up on a 2wire router and took printer and Linux
computer to a different location that had a Linksys WRT54G2 router and I
loaded software in a Windows XP box for network printing.
Well I can't get the Windows or the Linux computer to print to Printer
Samsung
CLX3175FN. The Linux computer had no problems on the 2Wire router.
I can ping the printer from the Linux or Windows computers but I can't
print.
I called Linksys and they swear that their WRT54G2 has no problems of
this nature.
But I still feel that there is a Router problem.
I connected both printers to USB and they print fine.