How to tell IP address of remote machine?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Oct 25 14:39:19 UTC 2009

Mikkel wrote:

>> ifconfig only seems to give the local 192.168.*.* address.
>> Is there some way of getting it to tell the true IP address?
>>
>> (The remote machine is attached to an ADSL modem.
>> I can get the IP address by accessing the modem,
>> but I am not sure how I could automate this.
>> I guess I could use lynx, and try to abstract the address ...)
>>
> You could download ddclient and change the config to mail all
> messages to you.

Thanks, I'll look at that.
But would that give me the remote IP address?

> Or you could modify the pearl script to do what you
> want.

Unfortunately, Perl seems temporarily out of action
after upgrading to CentOS-5.4 .
(There were a large number of warnings about Perl during the upgrade.)
But I'm sure this will be sorted out in the next day or so.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net