reorganizing /home's

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Oct 1 02:50:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> first...I made a mistake which I would like to correct.
>
> edit /etc/fstab (dangerous) might want to use system tools to do this
> craig:x:500:500:Craig White:/home/F11/craig:/bin/bash
>
> should have been to edit /etc/passwd
>
> second, there are many good reasons to use uuid in references in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf and some of them are listed here...
> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/146951

I read the article.  I'd read something similar before.
Neither explained the superiority of
UUIDs over labels in a small system.
One of the responders prefered labels, not device nodes.

> this author glosses over the most obvious reason...that an install with Fedora 9 & 11 will leave you with 2 /boot partitions and probably 2 / partitions.

With two installs, I'd better have two / partitions.
They happen to be on separate disks.
IIRC their labels are ide-slash and sata-slash .

> I am not exactly sure why you bothered asking the list about all of this if you are determined to do symbolic links and the old style labels.

To get this answer:
> but the answer to your last question...No, boot sequence will never over write/change /etc/fstab

> I suspect that if you go your route, you will end up with a confused, difficult to maintain, selinux off dual-boot computer but it is your computer and you should do as you please.
>
> but the answer to your last question...No, boot sequence will never over write/change /etc/fstab

Thanks.

Until you suggested it, I would not have thought
of using bind instead of a symbolic link.
Is bind usually superior a symbolic link
or is my situation somehow special?

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.