NFS causing slooooow boot

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 1 16:33:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:33:00 -0700
Rick Stevens wrote:

> > There is.  Read below.

>As I point out in another reply, there really isn't any such
>option. The "bg" option insists on waiting around to timeout
>once before it is willing to background the operation.

There may be a way around this.

Comment out the nfs mount lines in fstab.
Boot will proceed using only the local mounts.

Write a small script file which contains the
command line versions of required 'mount' lines.

Call this script at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local with a '&' in the call
line

The nfs call will run in background and will not return until nfs has
timed out, but it will be backgrounded throughout, and other boot
processes (loading X, etc) will continue.

You can test this with a script file containing: 'date', 'mount -a',
'date', and changing your /etc/fstab to attempt to NFS mount from a
computer which does not exist (ie, mung the hostname of one of your
existing machines). You will see from the output that it will take the
full minute to return.
Geoff