desktop-effects start/stop command

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Thu Oct 1 22:13:50 UTC 2009

Dear All!
Is there a way to start and stop desktop-effects using some command?
I'm pretty happy running desktop-effects all the time except when I
want to use Blender. With desktop-effects enabled Blender 3D-window is
half-transparent and there's other artefact on panels. I run Blender
using 'LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender'. It's the only way to use it.
I would like to create an alias for 'blender' with something like
desktop-effects --stop | LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender'. Or even
write a small script that would disable effects when Blender starts
and enable them after it exits.
Suggestions?
Thanks for attention!
--