Latest updates are missing a dependency

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 2 23:12:31 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>> Given that the upgrade installs a new kernel (2.6.30.8-64 from memory)
>>> which doesn't do networking, more than chill is required. I did this
>>> to my production laptop, then managed to do it again on a desktop.
>>> Since it happened after midnight, I just saved a dmesg for
>>> investigation, I assume all networking is dead since the desktop had
>>> the same problem.
>>>
>>> Manual booting into an older kernel worked on the desktop, the laptop
>>> old kernel doesn't like something in the partial upgrade which did
>>> take place, so I'm somewhat hung on that one.
>>>
>> ????
>>
>> All is working here just fine after skipping the broken updates.  So,
>> I've no idea as to what you've managed to accomplish.  But since you've
>> decided to keep all the dmesg output for investigation private I suspect
>> nobody will be able to help you either.
>>
> Didn't need help, just a few hours sleep and time to spend an hour
> looking. dmesg actually just showed one NIC not detected, the one
> needed for networking, of course. Problem solved.

Glad to hear it is working again.....  Too bad you've decided not to
share what the solution to your problem was.  It is usually good form
when informing folks of an "issue" (that you seem to be connecting with
a given update )what the final solution was so as to help others who may
encounter the same issue.  We are left to wonder...why the NIC wasn't
detected...hardware issue?...and what was done to fix the problem...

--
Your ignorance cramps my conversation. Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7